Conference on Water Innovations for Healthy Arctic Homes
Addressing the challenges of providing
safe and affordable access to household running water and sanitation
in remote Arctic and sub-Arctic communities
September 18-21, 2016 @ Hilton Hotel, Anchorage, Alaska
The WIHAH conference is bringing together Alaskan, U.S., and international engineers, health experts, researchers, community members, policymakers, and innovators to discuss health benefits, challenges and innovations associated with making running water and sewer in remote northern communities safe, affordable and sustainable. A conference proceedings publication and a summary report of the meeting will be produced. This conference will consist of expert speaker and poster presentation sessions, along with selected innovative technical demonstrations.
This circumpolar conference is identified as an official event in conjunction with the U.S. Chairmanship of the Arctic Council, as an endorsed project of the Arctic Council Sustainable Development Working Group. The Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation is partnering with a number of U.S. agencies to sponsor this informative conference. Federal sponsors include the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, U.S. Arctic Research Commission; U.S. the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; the U.S. Department of State; and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Rural Development Program.
- The impact of household water and sanitation on Arctic human health
- Climate change impacts on water and sanitation infrastructure in the Arctic
- Innovative engineering approaches to increase access to water of adequate quality and quantity, including water reuse
- Methods of ownership, operations and maintenance to maximize useful life of water and sewer systems in the Arctic
- Regulations and policies affecting access to and the cost of providing adequate quantities of water in the home
REGISTRATION & ABSTRACT SUBMISSION IS CLOSED.
- Sunday, Sept. 18: Welcome reception (6pm – 8pm) at Hilton
- Monday, Sept. 19: Sponsored reception (6pm – 8pm) at Hilton
- Thursday, Sept. 22: Post-Conference Glacier Tour (optional). Tickets available for purchase.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.